Frequently Asked Questions
Selling Your Gear
1. Do you charge a commission on brokered equipment?
If your item doesn't sell, you pay us NOTHING! When we post your listing, we will add a small commission to your asking price. If we sell your equipment, you will earn the dollar amount of your asking price that you entered when creating your listing. Our commission structure is simple: anything listed for under $3,000 will have 20% added for commission. Anything over that amount will have 15% added on for commission. No other fees or hidden costs apply!
2. Can I list my item on other websites at the same time?
Definitely. We feel our site reaches the best group of industry professionals out there. As such, we're not afraid to compete with other sites to sell your gear! We only ask that if you sell the item somewhere else, that you de-activate it from the site (takes just a moment after logging into your account).
3. How long does it take for my listing to be approved?
We try to make sure all listings get approved in 2-5 business days. Why the long wait? We go through each listing carefully adding any info we can find from the original manufacturer, as well as cleaning up any spelling mistakes (we've got your back non-English majors!) We do this to make sure your item is presented in the best light to any potential buyers. If at any time you make a change to your listing while it's active (you can find and edit them by logging in to the site and hitting "my account" at the very top left), we will review your listing again before it gets re-activated.
4. Selling brokered equipment: What happens when someone wants to buy my equipment?
Congrats! Someone wants to buy your item... here is what happens next:
- One of our agents will contact you to confirm the item is still available and determine shipping cost to the buyer. The buyer is responsible for all shipping costs.
- We collect the money from the buyer, wait for the funds to clear, and hold the money in escrow. We will not ask you to ship the equipment until we have the money secured in our escrow account! We will at this time however request that you fill out a W-9 form, which can be found here. This ensures that all parties are in full federal tax compliance.
- Once the funds clear, we will have you ship the equipment using the buyer's preferred method. We will need to have you email proof of shipment to us.
- After the buyer has received the product, they have 48 hours to notify UsedLighting.com of any problems. If the buyer doesn't find any issues, your cash will be on its way to you!
5. Wait, what if my item doesn't sell?
If your item has been listed and remains un-sold after six months, we will send you an email asking you to renew your item for another six months. This is a great time to check how many views your item has had and evaluate your price... maybe those 1980s moving lights in your garage won't be your retirement fund after all? If we don't hear from you within 7 days, we will take your items off the website. You can then re-activate them for up to six months, then after that they will be deleted from our system completely. Having trouble moving your item? You can always contact our sales team for help with pricing your items. Our certified appraisers will be happy to help!